LKNO College Scholarship Program
Due to our faithful supporters, the Lake Norman Orchestra is privileged to be able to contribute to furthering education in our community. The FAQ below provides answers to common questions about the LKNO College Scholarship.
What is the LKNO College Scholarship?
The Lake Norman Orchestra’s (LKNO’s) mission is to enhance, inspire, strengthen, and educate our community through exceptional music performances and to build strong, creative partnerships with schools, local government, businesses, and other organizations.
The Orchestra consists entirely of volunteer musicians who practice weekly on Monday nights and perform concerts throughout the region. This requires dedication on the members’ part, especially the high school students who practice and perform with LKNO in addition to their multiple outside commitments and studies. To reward these students who rehearse and perform regularly with the Lake Norman Orchestra for their dedication and contributions, we are pleased to offer high school seniors the opportunity to apply for a $1000 college scholarship each April.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible to apply for the LKNO scholarship, students must meet the below listed criteria:
- Must be planning on graduating from an accredited high school this academic year
- Must be active member for a minimum of 2 years, and participate in a minimum of 3 concerts per year
- Section leader must attest to consistent rehearsal attendance and etiquette
- Must demonstrate a high level of musicianship, i.e., being prepared for rehearsals and concerts
- Must be earning a minimum of an unweighted 3.0 GPA
- Must plan to enroll full-time in a bachelor’s degree or associate’s degree program at an accredited higher education institution in the fall directly after your graduation from high school
- Must complete and submit the LKNO Scholarship Application by April 8, 2020. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
When can I apply and when will I know if I’ve received the scholarship?
The scholarship submission deadline is April 8, 2020. The LKNO board will review applications and make the decision no later than April 22, 2020. The scholarship money will be presented to the scholarship winner in the form of a check.
How will the scholarship be judged?
The scholarship will be decided by the current Board of Directors of the LKNO. The following criteria will be used:
- Meeting of the scholarship application requirements
- Attendance records/performance records
- Ability to communicate what you’ve learned while playing with the LKNO and how it will prepare you for college
Where and how do I apply?
The scholarship application is attached. Please click on the link below to view and download the form for printing.
Applications can be submitted by giving it to an LKNO Board member.
Who do I contact with questions?
You may contact the LKNO Board President, Conductor, or an LKNO Board member before or after rehearsal, or by email.